Friday, January 20, 2006

He really can't see

The bad-mommy moment of the day: When I'm trying to get Daniel to pick up his toys and he overlooks that one ball five times and just keeps asking me "Where, momma?" and I get so frustrated - it turns out he really can't see it.
We've been playing the "Where" game for more than a year, but if it's hard to get kids to cooperate at the dentist, I thought what kind of nightmare must it be to take them to the eye doctor? I mean, I HATE the eye doctor - way worse than the dentist. It's all about that test with the puff of air and, well, anyone getting that close to my eyeballs.
But the time came when I couldn't ignore a potential problem any longer. If Daniel is going into 4K next year in a real school and all that, I'd better make sure he can see, right? Right.
I have high praise to the optometrist - Dr. Simmons at Primary Eyecare - he's awesome with kids and apparently sees them as young as three months. I mean, wow. Anyway, he was really good with Daniel - and with me. They took us together, which meant they'd do a test on me, then do the same thing with him. It went really well - a lot better than the dentist! The bad news: my 3-year-old needs glasses. Dr. Simmons is going to do a second exam, just to confirm his results (I like that: before I spend however-much on two pairs of glasses - gotta have a spare - he's going to make sure his tests are right) and then Daniel will have glasses just like mom and dad.
So - moms who have kids with glasses - got any advice for me? Send me pix of your babies with their eyewear (mcline@macontel.com) and I'll post them here!

1 comment:

Sara Rosett said...

Hi!

I like your blog. I'm a middle Georgia mom, too. My daughter has worn glasses since she was 5 months old. It was a shocker for me, too. I had no idea they did glasses, much less eye exams at that age! Anyway, she loves her glasses and since they really did help her see she never tried to take them off. Good luck. I'm sure Daniel will do great with them.
I'm a blogger, too.(http://www.rosettwrites.bravejournal.com) But I write mostly about writing and mysteries. I try to save the motherhood stuff for my books (mom lit mysteries). Take care!