Thursday, October 26, 2006

Saying goodbye to grandmother

The tiny brown insect shell clung tightly to our front pine tree. Faith inspected the old skin left by a cicada that moved on to enjoy its adult life free from confines. Just a few days later, I used that image to explain my mother's death. After months of declining health, Faith's "Mia Mia" went to sleep one afternoon and didn't wake up. When I found her lifeless body, I calmly called for my brother in the kitchen as I didn't want to alarm Faith. She was first at the bedroom door anyway, so I sent her back to get her uncle. It turns out I had nothing to worry about. While I went to the kitchen to make the necessary phone calls, my daughter slipped unnoticed into her room. She emerged moments later after changing into a black skirt and top. I chuckled at her wardrobe change, remembering how Faith had seen Shirley Temple put on a black dress when she got word of her father's death in one of Faith's videos. My kindergartener took death in stride. She was more worried about my coming sadness. Faith knows her grandmother awoke in the arms of Jesus. After 76 years in her earthly body, she is now living the life of her destiny. Faith will help me through my tears.
- Liz Fabian

2 comments:

misty said...

My prayers are with your family, Liz.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about your mother's passing. My thoughts, prayers and sympathies are with you and your loved ones.