Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Big Kids

Daniel came home from day care with a tummyache yesterday. Many have been the mornings when he claims a stomach ache to try to get out of going TO school, but this time, I really thought he was sick. So we went home, had some popsicles, cuddled up on the couch and got to the heart of the matter.
Because it's spring break, the classes have been combined, and Daniel was in with a group of older students. He's tall, so there wasn't a big size difference, but apparently the older kids picked on him pretty good. "They said they were going to smack me," he whispered on my lap. "They called me names."
Oh, baby. I didn't expect to have to deal with a bullying situation so soon. While this is minor, it does bode of things to come and that concerns me.
So this morning I asked his teacher to keep him in with the younger kids, which might mean some other mom is going to have an upset baby when she arrives at the school this afternoon. I recommend a popsicle, a cudlle, and a phone call to Grandma. 'Cause if a big dose of Grandma love can't fix it, nothing can. And we'll take turns preparing our babies to deal with the big kids.
--Misty

No comments: