Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Day care fun and games

Every working mom knows how hard it is to find someone you trust to take care of your child. For Daniel's first three years, I worked nights while my husband worked days, just so one of us would be home with him most of the time. We did fairly well, even though I was burning the candle at both ends. I think Daniel is stronger and more secure now for that little bit of time he had with us. Plus, bing at home with dad every evening has turned him into a real guy - you know the type - works on his trucks, landscapes the yard, kicks back in the recliner and leaves the seat up. And days with mom taught him about doing laundry, putting his dishes away and helping clean the house. But since I started on days, we've been through three day cares. The first one was good, and I had used them for short-term care or songle days when I was working nights. But when he was going to go full-time, I wanted something a little more learning-oriented. The second one was structured, but the staff turnover was dizzying. He had three teachers over the course of a day, and I felt I could never get a full answer on how he was doing, until there were problems. Because he finally figured out that each teacher had different rules and a different tolerance for misbehavior. And to a 3 1/2 year old, that's license to act up. Plus, once he got caught a feww times, he learned that acting up was the way to get mom or dad out to his school. Not so good.
So we've changed care providers again, and I think this time I've hit the jackpot. The curriculum is structured and on-level. The classrooms are neat, but crammed with stuff to do. And the teachers are young, energetic, and involved with both mom and kid. Every afternoon I get a little report on how he did, whether he took a nap, ate his lunch, took care of bathroom business, the works. And if I can't be there, that's the next best thing.
--Misty

1 comment:

misty said...

The Children's Friend on Corder Road. I love them, Daniel loves them, everybody's happy.