Friday, February 03, 2006

Resources for moms

I ran across two gems this week that I have got to share with all my fellow moms.
The first came in the form of a flier at my son's preschool: The Almost 2 New consignment sale is coming up, Friday, Feb. 10 8-10 a.m. and 4-8 p.m. and Saturday, the 11th 7 a.m. to noon, at 209 Willoughby Court, Macon. For those of you familliar with the MOPS consignment sale twice a year in North Macon, this is built on the same principles, only for South Bibb, Houston and Peach county residents. the organizers, Pamela (781-7046) and Jennifer (785-0103), have been at this a few years now, and the sale has been growing. They are still accepting sellers; the guidelines are simple: don't try to sell anything you wouldn't buy. That means excellent condition, reasonably priced for a consignment sale, and clearly tag items. For specifics, give them a call. Sellers get 70 percent of their sales; the remaining 30 percent covers mailings and advertising for the sale each spring and fall. "I let my daughter pick out toys she no longer plays with to sell," says Jennifer. "She gets a little spending money that way." Very nice, ladies.
My second blessing of the week was the arrival of my subscription to MomSense, a magazine put out by MOPS International. I signed up as research for the blog, but with my subscription came a free copy of "Just give me a little peace and quiet: 60 mini-retreats for a mom's soul" by Lorilee Cracker. And it couldn't have arrived at a betteer time. We've had a rough week, my boys and I, and just about the time I'm ready to snap, God sends me a reminder that I'm not in this alone. "God is full of gifts for us moms." reads the intrduction." One of those gifts is time - when we take it - to revive the spiritual, gifted, beautiful woman inside that meat-cutting, fight-refereeing, sleep-deprived chick our kids refer to as "Hey, Mom." " Love it. And I'll share some of the better passages as I get to them. MOPS also has a list of titles that include "Five-Staar Families: Moving yours from Good to Great," "Real Moms: Exploding the myths of motherhood," "Children change a marriage: What every couple needs to know," "What every mom needs: Meet your nine basic needs and be a better mom," "The scoop on being a young mom," and my favorite, "Mommy's locked in the bathroom: Surviving your child's early years with your sanity and salvation intact." Tell me more!

No comments: