Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Puppy Love

With Faith now filling up the bathtub, I miss those cuddly days.She can hardly fit in my lap anymore, let alone cradled in my arms.Maybe that's why I've fallen so hard for "the boys"- two little pups I found wandering along the guard rail on the shoulder of Interstate 75 about three weeks ago.
My first thought was calling them Ying and Yang as they are nearly identical except one is white, the other black with a tiny touch of white on the bib and as a little goatee.But after their first bath and the shedding of thousands of fleas, the names "Boo" and "Scout" stuck. They are named for two characters in my husband's favorite black and white classic film, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
With the boys "fostering" with us while we find a loving home, Faith has become quite the little mommy. She lovingly lugs them around with her hands grasped under their front legs that stick straight out in front flanking their round bellies. Faith cried the first school morning because she didn't want to leave the puppies.
We've been straight with her that we were probably not going to keep them, although maybe my husband and I are the ones that need convincing.I guess the message is getting through to her. Faith has moved from "if God wants us to have the puppies, He'll make a way," to "I'm not going to thank God tonight for the puppies because we're not keeping them. Right?" Let me get back to you, Faith, after I snuggle a little while longer with them on the couch.
Those little guys have really gotten to all of us. Now the challenge - find a home for them as good as ours! Next step, the classifieds... Puppy love for your Valentine... I sense the inspiration.
Liz

No comments: