Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Happily Ever After?

Radio commentator Paul Harvey usually expounds on the "rest of the story," but last night I got a chance to find out what happened after Cinderella married her handsome prince. Thanks to a Disney sequel, Faith and I learned of the challenges the blonde bombshell faced in the castle. She proved to be a formidable foil for the uptight protocol mistress appointed to teach her how to be a princess. While the prince and king are away, Cinderella defies the royal status quo and makes loads of changes in palace rules. I'm glad she didn't marry into Henry the VIII's family! Of course, the king loved chocolate pudding in place of stewed prunes and enjoyed the company of commoners at the royal ball. Although it was a fun little movie, I wasn't expecting so much controversy in her "happily ever after." It was a little like Disney does Princess Di. But the forbidden romance of one of the ugly step-sisters is heart-warming. Cinderella III is now at the video store. Even though I wonder what she's up to next, I can't help but think it might have been better left to the imagination.
- Liz Fabian

No comments: