Monday, July 09, 2007

Bits of this post has been borrowed from babble.com (I certainly didn't call 1000 people). I found it interesting because I was sure, right up until the doc said "it's a boy" that Daniel Keith would be Katie Susanne. My husband, whose patriarchal side of the family has produced boys only for generations, was just as sure we'd be having a boy. Of course, now I am going to be able to choose the gender opf Daniel's sibling, and I want one just like him (yes, I have lost my marbles. If you find them, please keep them safe).
Apparently Americans have a distinct preference for one gender over another when it comes to babies, and the preference is definitely weighted towards boys.
1000 Americans were Gallup-polled recently and asked the question, "Suppose you could only have one child. Would you prefer that it be a boy or a girl?"
37% said: Boy, while only 28% said: Girl. I know, I know, that doesn't even approach 100%, does it? I'm bothered by that too. A full 26%, almost as many as wanted girls, said it doesn't matter, even though that wasn't an option as an answer. And 9% "didn't understand the question." Those are the ones I'm hoping will opt to NOT reproduce at all.
What does this say about our society? Apparently we're still into the "carry on the family name" mentality.
What about you? Boys? Girls? And why?

--Misty

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in the minority it appears. I was hopping for a girl with out first child and I got an adorable baby girl. I kinda want a boy next time so that we have one of each but who knows. If we have another girl I am ok with that too. Another one just like her woiuld be great. Only time will tell and it is not time for a sibbling yet.

Anonymous said...

i don't think it is the "carry the family on" mentality as much as it is about the perceived differences in raising girls and boys. girls are perceived as more expensive, and as they get older, i know parents tend to be much more protective of girls.

Anonymous said...

I would prefer a girl. I would probably have just as much fun with a boy, but there is just something about picking out all the little dresses and bows!