Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Getting my groove back

For some time now, my physical fitness has been measured not by what size jeans I wear, but by whether I can keep up with my life. Can I mow the front yard without collapsing? Can I chase the dog and the kid without getting winded? And the big one - can I go all day at an amusement park without needing "a break?" And since the answer has been yes, I haven't worried about the rest of it. But I'm in the middle of a funny, frank book by Vicki Iovine, called "The Girlfriends' Guide to Getting Your Groove Back." Iovine helped me before, with "The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy" and "The Gilrfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year." She'll tell you like it is, and make you laugh while she's doing it. I mean, "What to Expect While You're Expecting" is OK, but don't you feel like it left some pretty big things out? Ditto with the Guide to the First Year and the Guide to the Toddler Years. Better than "What to Expect," but still pretty basic. But here's what Iovine kicked my butt for this morning:
"Getting some pounds off doesn't do a thing for giving you any more agility than the rusty Tin Woodsman, nore does it provide the weight-bearing exercises that have been proven to ward off osteoporosis or give you enough stamina to hold your own in a three-legged race with your seven-year-old. That's where some kind of fitness program comes in. ... This is a very important part of getting your groove back, Girlfriends: Since there are very few moments in a day carved out for pure enjoyment, we've all decided to pick an activity that tones up our bodies while we're distracted by the fun we're having...." And she goes on, but that's for another posting.
So I'm shopping for an exercise I don't hate, and since I used to love my bellydancing class and still have the tapes, I think I'm going to dust off my bells and check out the classes offered here in Warner Robins. We'll see how it goes.
--Misty

No comments: