Friday, March 10, 2006

Present problems

My little girl has become quite generous of late. She uses scraps of wrapping paper to adorn her gifts of artwork and spare toys. Perhaps she's emulating mommy who spends days wrapping Christmas presents each year. No matter what's wrapped inside - and sometimes it's something that already belongs to me - I make sure I thank her and let her know I appreciate her kindness. But when presenting presents to youngsters, it can be tricky.
While visiting her pre-kindergarten class, I noticed one of Faith's little dolls positioned on top of another girl's cubicle. Faith had been praying for that little girl, who had been out sick. I thought maybe Faith misplaced her "sleeping buddy" for the day, but instead, she had placed the doll there as a gift for her friend's return.
During dinner conversation a night or two later, I asked Faith if her friend was better, and if she liked the doll. The girl had returned to class, Faith said, but she threw the doll away. I was crushed. Granted, it was only a little $1 doll that Faith picked out while "shopping" at the dollar store, but because my only-child was giving freely and sharing her things, I thought it was priceless. My husband and I praised our daughter's generosity and explained the gracious way to accept gifts.If you don't like it, don't say so! It's a skill Faith had already practiced her last birthday when she opened a present she already had without letting on. I hope she realizes it's still better to give, even when you receive rejection in return.
- Liz

No comments: