Thursday, April 20, 2006

advice and advisers

It's funny now, while listening to a friend tell someone she's pregnant, to hear the immediate onslaught of advice she recieves. When I was pregnant, I had a firm "nod and smile" policy. I'd nod and smile until the adviser ran out of steam, then do whatever I was going to do, regardless. The sole exception was women who tried to advise me, even though they had never had a baby of their own. Those women just irritated me. Apparently, they still do.
I mean, I'm sorry, but unless you have a medical degree or have been through what I am going through, shut up. You don't know. You are not a member of the club.
We, mothers, members of the mommy club, have the stretch marks, the sleepless nights (both before and after child birth), the heartburn, the morning-afternoon-evening sickness, the bladder-the-size-of-a-teaspoon and someone sitting on it, to testify to our worthiness to give advice. And most of us (grandmas get special dispensation) remember what it is like when well-intentioned people give us advice well enough that we aren't going to advise others unless we are asked.
Now, I'll pass along what worked for me. And I'll pass along my best resources. After all, I do have the credentials.
End of soapbox.
--Misty

No comments: