Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hopping down the gluttony trail...

I thought I'd run into the drugstore on the way home from work the other night. It was well past Faith's bedtime. This was my chance to get our Easter goodies without worrying about them melting. Sure, I was ready to be home, but it wasn't going to take long. Right? Wrong. Have you gone down a candy aisle recently? My trip to grab bunnies, jelly beans and treats took much longer than I thought.
As a child, my basket always had a bunny, jelly beans and chocolate eggs - usually Hershey's eggs. It was nice of those people who made the bars and kisses to do something special at Easter. We embraced Russell Stover's in later years and that was my game plan. Grab some of their Easter candy and go. But no. Let me see every type of candy imagineable packaged for Easter. All our favorites are there in the cutest little pastel packages. Oh, the Nestle crunch eggs. I remember how good they were the first year I had them. And what about the chocolate cookie ones that Faith's grammie bought last year - but couldn't find this year. Wow. It's hard out there for candies trying to make the lineup for the big Easter show. OK. I over-ruled the sensory overload. As I pondered my egg purchase, I had originally picked up two Doves - one dark - and the Russell Stovers. Nope. Not going to do it. My husband and I have been trying too hard to cut the sugar out. We didn't want to fall right back into it. My resolve kicked in and I was out the door. (I can always see what's half-off Monday.)
- Liz

No comments: