Tuesday, May 16, 2006

AAA and Parents rate cars

Every now and then something comes across my desk that I just have to pass along. This time, it's the AAA Auto Club South's report on the best cars for families, by category. Keep in mind I haven't driven most of these vehicles and can only tell you what I think is cool.
Top o' the heap - the Dodge Charger. If it's good enough for the police to give up their Crown Vics, it's bad enough for me. Tons of space inside. Also on the list of top sedans: the Mazda 6, which has features I enjoy (like radio controls on the steering wheel) and a remote that lets you open the windows to let the summer heat out before you get anywhere near the car. And the Ford Fusion, which AAA likes for standard features such as grocery-bag hooks and an MP-3 capable CD player. All I know is it's nimble on the road. Other small cars and sedans on the list: the Honda Civic (which I almost bought once), the Mazda 3 - excellent value model - and the Kia sportage, which will last until about the time the family needs something bigger.
Minivans: AAA likes the Toyota Sienna, the Honda Odyssey and the Chrysler Town & Country. I'm SO not a minivan girl.
Wagons: AAA likes the Subaru Tribeca, which I have to admit has a neat profile. The report cites seating for seven (see, who needs a minivan?), reclining seats (naptime anyone?) tons of cupholders and power outlets (hello personal DVD players for everyone!) and standard side impact and curtain airbags. It just screams "family roadtrip!"
SUVs: My peronal favorite made AAAs list: the Ford Explorer. With five, six, or seven-seat options, roll-stability control, and an engine that keeps on tickin' long after 200,000 miles with proper care, this would be my choice. Ford has worked out the early kinks, put in comfy seats (whichever row you're in) and kept the price (and gas mileage) as reasonable as you're going to get in an SUV. Also on the list: the Chevrolet Equinox, which AAA cites as "comfy as a minivan inside" - see my comment about minivans - and the Jeep Commander, which is a good multitasker for those days when your car is full of groceries, mountain bikes, or large dogs instead of kids.
For more information, see Seated, Safe and Secure at aaa.com
--Misty

No comments: