Thursday, May 04, 2006

The new write way

As I printed my name on a school board ballot, I noticed the change. My penmanship made a paradigm shift to the present. Gone were the boxy, straight letters I made in school. They had been replaced by a kinder, gentler, curvier cursive wannabe. Once Faith started learning her letters in school, I found out there's a new right way to write. Now I'm having a flashback to my mother's frustration over "new math." Just what was new math anyway? Well, the new penmanship has little curves at the end of "a-d-h-m-x," etc. As her teacher explained, the tiny flips are designed to ease little minds into cursive writing. Apparently the shift from stick-like letters to smooth flowing script was too much of a leap. Now I'm making the jump back to the future. I had slipped into the habit of writing in all capital letters anytime I printed something. As a result, Faith learned to write her name as FAITH, which is not the correct way. In an effort to get my child off the straight and narrow and into the new swing of things, my own writing is evolving. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Just leave math alone until she graduates from college.
- Liz

No comments: