Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Becareful what you ask for

Last week, all I wanted was for my mother to accept my invitation to join us for Mother's Day. This week, she's coming, but she has to. Doctor's orders. Her Mother's Day ended with a trip to the hospital in the predawn hours of the morning after. She was having trouble breathing after getting up to go the bathroom. She thought she was dying - and she was right as fluid was pooling up in her lungs. Doctors have been able to make up for the shortfalls of her aging heart, lungs and kidneys this time. And in spite of an initial protest, she's coming to recouperate at our house. The nurse is going to brief me about her care and medicines. She hasn't had the chance to open the king-sized blanket I gave her for Mother's Day, but I'm looking forward to wrapping my arms around her instead.
- Liz

No comments: