Thursday, May 11, 2006

The gift I wish Mom would accept

My mind has been consumed with what to give my mother Sunday. Mother's Day doesn't hold many gift options anymore. My mother's furniture has reached its surface capacity for the current stock of knick-knacks and do-dads, which are already exceeding her ability to dust. Mom doesn't get out much these days, so perfume, jewelry and clothing seem to be a waste. Her closets are overflowing with outfits that might not see the light of day again. And she still has enough perfume to choke a horse, just ask my nephews. So, I picked up the phone and went to the source, herself. I learned gift cards are out because she no longer goes shopping to spend them. Besides, she still has a stockpile from other occasions, she said. How about a blanket? She said she needs a lightweight one for her bed. Simple enough. I'll hit the online sales right now and have it shipped to her door, which is about three hours by car from mine. Of course, I'd love for her to agree to come see us this weekend, but I knew what her answer would be. "No." It always is, just the reason changes. In the winter it's too cold, in the summer it's too hot. This time it's her allergies that have her down. She even stayed in bed this morning past "Live with Regis and Kelly." Next week, she can watch from under her new blanket. If only she'd prefer to watch "Live with Matt, Liz and Faith" surrounded by our love, instead.
- Liz

No comments: