Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Thanks Faith - Mom's the word

My daughter just cut straight through to my heart. For too long the tasks of caring for my bed-ridden mother have obscured the bigger picture. When emptying mom's potty chair, doling out dozens of pills, preparing special meals and changing soiled bed sheets, I do remind myself of my mother's sacrifices for me - the countless times she lovingly wiped my baby bottom, rinsed out dirty cloth diapers and fixed my favorite dishes. I willingly accept my role as caretaker. But it took Faith's school assignment to really open my eyes. In her "All about Me" book she colored this week, there is a page devoted to her family - all four of us. There in crayon is a drawing of my mother in her wheelchair. She's not my patient, she's my mommy.
- Liz Fabian

No comments: