Friday, February 09, 2007

Still Mmm, Mmm, good - my bad

The other night it was just going to be Faith and me for supper. I hit the grocery store after work and thought I'd try to make a special meal that she would like. What did I love as a child? Spaghetti and meatballs. That would be hit, I thought. So I purchased what I needed and headed home. I'll admit I was taking some shortcuts by not making my own sauce and buying packaged meatballs from the meat deparment, but I wasn't prepared for the rejection I got. I set the table with red placemats and cut some fresh camelias to match. I arranged them with some daffodils in a heart-shaped vase and got out Faith's "fancy glass" that lights up. When she came home from a friend's house, I told her the good news. "Faith, I made you a special dinner - spaghetti and meatballs," I told her. "Aw," she said, "I wanted to finish my soup." The soup she was talking about was some leftover Campbell's double noodle soup she insisted I save for her. What an insult, I thought. Faith didn't want to disappoint me but I learned there were extenuating circumstances. "But Mom, spaghetti reminds me of when I threw up at Paige's," Faith told me. Enough said. Bring on the soup.
-Liz

No comments: