Thursday, March 15, 2007

Haunted by the headlines

Most days the bad news outweighs the good news in my job. That's the life of a journalist. Occasionally, there comes a story that chills my bones. I still can't think of Jessica Lunsford without feeling an uncomfortable tingling in my spine. My mind sees her smiling face painted up like a cat in a photograph aired on cable television news in the days after her disappearance in Florida. Then there's the image of her fingers poking through a plastic bag where she was buried alive underground. Her other hand clutched her stuffed dolphin as she drew her last breath. Don't even take me near thoughts of what horrors she faced at the hands of a sex offender keeping her prisoner. Her killer has received the death penalty, but unfortunately it won't end the abuse suffered at the hands of so many innocent children all over the country.
-Liz

No comments: