Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hijacked by the beanstalk

Renting movies has become a weekly event at our house. When we return last week's, we pick up new rentals. Faith's latest find was "Jack and the Beanstalk." When she brought me the case, I was thrilled to see so many names I recognized - Matthew Modine, Vanessa Redgrave, Daryl Hannah, Jon Voight, Richard Attenborough. "Great find," I thought. It was a movie for the whole family. Wrong. This is no fairy tale. (It actually said that on the cover, but the Blockbuster sticker covered that line." I had no idea the film produced by Hallmark and Jim Henson's Creature Shop would be so adult. I suppose I should have wondered when it wasn't rated. Granted, there didn't seem to be bad language or any sexual innuendoes or overtones, but it was a very grown-up movie. Faith handled it superbly and we did enjoy it, but I would definitely not recommend the movie for young children. For kiddies, it lays an egg and I'm not talking about the golden variety.
- Liz Fabian

No comments: