Sunday, September 17, 2006

Scared of the "Skeleton Man"

Faith might not have been frightend, but I'm scared. Last night she was sitting at the foot of my mother's bed watching "Wheel of Fortune." Great. She's bonding with her ailing grandmother and getting some alphabet reinforcement, I thought. I went to the kitchen to fix a late supper without a worry. As Matt and I were eating, I realized it was past 8 p.m. and the program would have changed. My mother has a tendency to watch super gory cop shows, man-hating Lifetime movies and lurid soap operas - so I thought I'd better check it out. "What are you watching?" I asked. Faith's reply was a shrug of the shoulders. A commercial was on, so I really couldn't tell. "I hope you're not watching anything too grown-up," I told Faith. My mother raised her head off the pillow and said: "There's been a lot of shooting, but I don't know what it is." By the time the program resumed with the Sci-Fi channel logo, I found the Teletime and started looking at the Saturday night line-up. Sci-Fi channel - what's on the Sci-Fi channel? "The Skeleton Man," I exclaimed. "Yup, that's it," Faith said enthusiastically as I reached for the remote. This morning she said she wasn't scared, but I am. I'll be monitoring mother's TV a lot more.
- Liz Fabian

No comments: